Progress Live 2011. Last time I saw TT as a five. #tbt
"They had so many different shields in this film. We had the heavy shields for the shots where I need to block myself, or it’s gonna be a close-up—it’s this nice, shiny, metallic. We have [the] rubber shield when I’m actually knocking someone out with it and I actually gotta hit somebody. We’ve had a couple of shields that are magnetic for when I gotta slip it on my back. And then we’ll use no shield at all every now and then. Every now and then, we’ll have to do a shot where I have to throw it and they’ll just CGI it.”
- Chris Evans, Outfitting A Hero
Apologies for taking so long to post this.
When the titles for the first few episode titles leaked a while ago I’m sure episode three was reported as “Robots of Sherwood”. A subtle but important difference.
A lot of work went into this cover. My friend Paul Griffin, as well as taking my photo, also let me borrow his bow and arrows for the occasion. And for the first time I built props!
My first idea was to build up a collage of images of Robin Hood and robots scanned in from old comics but I then had the idea of doing a “Blue Peter” and building the robots myself. A visit to Hobbycraft for some glue, paint and brushes and I was off.
I tried to make them look like a cross between the War Machines, the Krotons and the L-1 robot from “Trial of a Time Lord”. In effect, something that could have a BBC props man inside driving the things. The bodies were made from the box that my phone came in with “arms” made from the middle of till receipt rolls and heads from bottle tops. The “tank tracks” were made from the trays that razor blades come in.
I’ll post a few photos of the process.
I loved making this cover. And I really enjoyed the episode.
I honestly though “Into the Dalek” was the best episode in years. A story! People died and stayed dead! No faffing about with the bloody Sonic! A Doctor who doesn’t perv after his companion! Etc!
This is the image I built as my profile picture for the episode. I’d initially read that the story was called “Inside the Dalek” and my first idea was to try and create a Dalek silhouette with lots of compartments inside with lots of small versions of me running about; like the old Numbskulls cartoon strip but as I was still finding my feet as far as doing the assembling on a different programme I didn’t feel confident that I’d manage.
Of course the fact that the story was called “Into the Dalek” meant that may not have worked. As it was I worked out the Dalek silhouette by accident just mucking about on Photoshop which worked with my second idea of showing me “within” the Dalek. I’m quite happy with the finished image. Quite simple and effective.